Friday, September 10, 2010

Collage!

               My collage has a simple layout. I love simple things in life. I chose a path in some grass to represent a journey which I believe every person is on one. The 15th avenue house represents where Belmont is at as well as the street I live on. There is a house, representing community and the house I live in. There is a picture of a family with the order of birth that my family has and we always went to the beach so it was a good representation for family. There is also a plane which represents that I love to travel and experience new things. The sea creatures in the sky represent creativity. I am the parasailer off the boat and my friends are on the boat, having a good time with me. Everything is relative to history because over history houses, planes and boats have changed and are more relevant to today’s time. The tree also represents history, my history; it is growth over time as well as roots. The world today is open to creativity so I feel that is represented as well in my collage. Art is important to me so I feel it’s simply represented by my creativity and fun I had in creating this collage.




• Decisions: I chose to do a simple layout because it was the first layout that came to me. Also I like simplicity so it fits me well I think. A couple of decisions I made were to have a “sea themed” sky, for two reasons: that being I kept finding excellent sea images in my magazines as well as I love the sea and think the sky and sea are very similar in ways. I chose dirt from the ground to incorporate as well as a little house, family cutout and drawn 15th avenue sign to represent where I live as well as Belmont.

• Color: I chose basic green grass color cutouts for the grass, a painted light blue sky and a white sun faded out to yellow as the main color components. Obviously they work well together because these colors are often found in nature together naturally.

• Light: I chose the sun as my light source. I love the sun and feel it’s symbolic as well. It’s a constant in ever changing times. The light fades out from the sun into the sky

• Texture: Other than the texture found in the cutouts as well as the painted clouds, there is actual texture found in the dirt path. I used dirt from outside my house.

• Volume: There is weight in the tree mainly. I tried to find good tree cutouts that would give the tree texture as well as depth.

• Line: There is implied line between the people on the boat (friends) to the parasailer(me) as well as implied line from the sea turtle and other fish that goes off to the right as well as in the opposing lower corner implied line and direction from the plane flying off my poster to the left.

• Space: There is a foreground which includes the grass and path, which leads to the background which is divided by the horizon line. In the background the house appears smaller in relation to the path in the foreground

• Scale: The creatures in the sky as well as the sun are the largest objects in the collage. The sun is ever present it rises and falls everyday constants are important to me in my life. They keep my grounded. Also I put the sea creatures in the sky to be creative and I love creativity. It is really important to me and who I am.

• Symbolism: The four symbols are: The tree which stands for growth as well as roots, the house stands for community, I live in a community house with 5 other people and it’s important as well as shapes me, the path which represents a journey which I believe everyone is on one that lasts their whole lives, and the fourth is the plane which stands for travelling and being free to leave places as well as go places.

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of your collage being about nature and natural things. This is a beautiful picture and it looks to be a real painting done by a famous artist. I believe that you mastered the idea of the lines in the collage showing depth and giving a direction to which the audience is supposed to be looking at. I also really like the idea that you wanted this to be a simple collage because you have mastered that as well. It looks like a simple day outside with beautiful weather and a beautiful view. The sun is also giving the collage the simple theme because it is giving off bright light, which gives the idea that there is nothing hidden. It isn'g giving the audience anything to look for in the collage except for what is right there in their view.
    One can also tell that there is depth being incorporated into the picture because of the fact that you have the airplane flying halfway off of the page and the size of it is a medium size. It is bigger than the boats in the collage, which show that they are father away, which also show depth. This is a really good collage and feel as though you understood the main objective of the assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an excellent job creating depth and using implied line to draw the viewer in. The path leading back into the composition is inviting and adds an element of welcome in addition to linear perspective. Even though the pictures in the background of your family and friends are the smallest in the collage, I do not find them the least important compositionally because everything seems to revolve around them--the path guides you directly there and the photos take precedence in the central location. There is also a nice feel of atmospheric perspective in your collage since the smaller images in the back are less colorful than in the front. Great creation of space. The dirt for texture was also a good touch. Your collage says much about your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the simplicity of your collage. It feels like a frame from a stop motion film, or even an advertisement encouraging people to enjoy the simple things in life. I love the animals soaring past the sun. It puts a quirky and creative spin on the scene and really brings the rest of the collage to life. All of your symbols are very well thought out and tell a lot about you. Altogether, I am a huge fan of your collage. It is extremely creative and pleasant, and it was cool reading about your selections and process. Well done and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so drawn to your collage-it reminds me of a painting, and is aesthetically pleasing in every way to me. I was so interested in the way you tied sky and sea together. I couldn't tell what the images in the sky were at first, but after reading your description, I thought that was a great idea! I was also glad that you used an additional media to your collage. It really showed who you are and what you love. There is so much depth in this composition that allowed this to seem more like a photograph or painting, like I said above. I love the way you have personalized your collage in such a unique way, and the movement it portrays is incredibly pleasant and fun! Great job!

    ReplyDelete