Thursday, December 2, 2010

Notre-Dame


The work of art I chose is the Cathedral of Notre-Dame in Paris.  I chose it for a couple of reasons, one being the fact that this Cathedral seems to have emerged in movies and such in my childhood and also that it is a very famous Cathedral and quite extravagant. What’s interesting about this piece is that it is survived the French Revolution by a slim margin, so this great work of art and this extravagant place of worship has barely made it to modern day times. Another fascinating quality is that Napoleon himself crowned himself emperor at it’s alter along with many other historically significant times. One of the most beautiful aspects to me personally are the circular designed glass decorative, as well as functional windows on the church. I am drawn to the design of them. Overall I really admire the structure for its history, its collosal size, its intricate design and the fact that it has survived through many rough periods in history when it could have gotten destroyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment